The {BACK}ground Story
I haven't figured out why I am writing this yet. I just feel most people don't know the whole story of what happened. The short version. July 30th 2014 I fell off of my horse and broke my back but few know the details so here it goes~
I wanted to get more into jumping. The barn that I was at did not have a horse that could primary focus on jumping so the trainer of the barn offered to get one that I could lease and focus on jumping with. The horse she got was a beautiful 4 year old thoroughbred named Cassidy.
We were told she was broke and had experience over fences. When I started working with her over fences it did not appear that she had much jumping experience at all. That's fine. We will take it slow. We were slowly working our way to get to know each other. She was a little nervous in the ring but she was at a new barn so that was expected. She was a little sassy and lazy, definitely mareish but I liked it. It was a fun attitude to work with. Slowly but surely improvements were being made and she was getting more comfortable and confident.
Then, winter came. The barn only had an outdoor ring. That meant that if it snowed, we couldn't ride. If it was too cold, we couldn't ride. If it was too icy, we couldn't ride. Training became very very choppy. We would have a lesson or just a working ride and then wouldn't be able to have a working ride for a week or more. This caused a lot of the progress we had made to be lost. It did not come as a shock to me that each ride was so difficult because of the lack of consistency. It's not fair to a baby to teach teach teach and then stop. When training a horse especially a young one you can't teach them for months and then stop for a while and expect them to be right where they left off when you stop again. Once winter was over and the spring weather was more consistent I basically had to start all over training wise. It was a lot of hard work. I would get frustrated a lot and fell off a few times in the process. At times I was ready to give up with her. It was those shining moments a good jump or a nice canter lap that would give me the push to keep going. Cassidy had a lot of potential and I didn't want to give up on her or us as a team. Again, Slowly but surely we made progress. After months of hard work we got to a point where we were ready to step into the show ring! One of the best things about Cassidy was that she would behave better off the farm than she would on the farm. I could have the worst lesson the day before the show and she'd be absolutely perfect in the show ring. She loved to show off her stuff and it was always a pleasant experience showing her.
Overall I wish I had more support during the injury. I wish more people pushed me to talk about it but I understand that I did shut a lot of people out during that time. My advice to people who are always labeled as the strong one is to open up to people, not a lot of people but at least a few and hope they'll provide the support you need. I should've gone to emotional therapy when it originally happened but I address it in therapy currently. I am so thankful for everything horses have done for me and I am glad I have come to terms with not riding intensely just occasionally for pleasure. I have accepted that just being around and caring for horses provides the same relaxation and therapy as riding them does. Cassidy was sold to a woman in New York and she is happy, healthy, and absolutely loved by her new owner. Moral of the story? Don't give up, Believe in yourself, and Be safe.
Kind Regards
I wanted to get more into jumping. The barn that I was at did not have a horse that could primary focus on jumping so the trainer of the barn offered to get one that I could lease and focus on jumping with. The horse she got was a beautiful 4 year old thoroughbred named Cassidy.
![]() |
| One for the Tables A.K.A Cassidy |
Then, winter came. The barn only had an outdoor ring. That meant that if it snowed, we couldn't ride. If it was too cold, we couldn't ride. If it was too icy, we couldn't ride. Training became very very choppy. We would have a lesson or just a working ride and then wouldn't be able to have a working ride for a week or more. This caused a lot of the progress we had made to be lost. It did not come as a shock to me that each ride was so difficult because of the lack of consistency. It's not fair to a baby to teach teach teach and then stop. When training a horse especially a young one you can't teach them for months and then stop for a while and expect them to be right where they left off when you stop again. Once winter was over and the spring weather was more consistent I basically had to start all over training wise. It was a lot of hard work. I would get frustrated a lot and fell off a few times in the process. At times I was ready to give up with her. It was those shining moments a good jump or a nice canter lap that would give me the push to keep going. Cassidy had a lot of potential and I didn't want to give up on her or us as a team. Again, Slowly but surely we made progress. After months of hard work we got to a point where we were ready to step into the show ring! One of the best things about Cassidy was that she would behave better off the farm than she would on the farm. I could have the worst lesson the day before the show and she'd be absolutely perfect in the show ring. She loved to show off her stuff and it was always a pleasant experience showing her.
![]() |
| Bethany Airport jumpers/hunters horse show |
The day of the injury started as just your average day at the barn. I was running the barn's summer camp which ran from 8:30 AM until noon. I had a lesson on Cassidy in the afternoon after camp had ended. The lesson was going well, nothing out of the ordinary. There were two children playing outside the ring at the other end. I could see Cassidy getting nervous and looking at them. I had asked the trainer if I should go down there or stay down here to let her relax. The trainer insisted I go down there, that I can't let her get away with that, that I have to push her past her fears. Although I still did not think it was a good idea since she was so young lets not push it too much, I trotted down the other end of the ring. As I approach the other end of the ring, one of the children stood up and rustled in the leaves. Cassidy stopped dead in her track and then bolted forward as fast as she could. It all happened so fast. I had no time to grab anything or hold on or even prepare myself so when she bolted I fell straight onto my back. Cassidy is 16.2 HH. 16.2 HH converts to 66 inches. Falling 5 feet and 6 inches straight onto my back as you can imagine was not a pleasant experience. If I think about that moment even to this day 2 years later I can still feel what I felt in that moment. The instant I hit the ground something was off. Something was much different than any other fall I had experienced. I couldn't feel. In that moment I thought, this is it, I'm paralyzed. As riders we're taught when you fall off get up right away in case the horse is running around the ring. Out of habit, I tried to get up but I fell right back down, I simply could not get up. Cassidy had been caught by the trainer in the ring and I laid on the ground for 5 minutes until I found the strength to barely get up and use the fence to get me to a seat on the outside of the ring. I sat there and texted my parents that I fell off and needed to get picked up trying not to get anyone too nervous. My dad drove me to the walk in clinic as my mom followed in my car behind us. I guess the way that I had explained my fall to the Walk in Doctor sounded like I had fallen on my tail bone. He did an examination and decided that my tail bone was probably broken but there was nothing he can do for that so rest up and I'd be good as new in a few days. He took no x-rays. I could not believe this. I know my body and I knew something was not right and it was not just a broken tailbone, I could barely walk. The next day I went to the Orthopedic back specialist who did take X rays. His reaction was much different than the walk in Doctors. If I remember his words correctly he said "Honestly we should've met you in the ER not the next day, you're lucky you're not paralyzed". The X ray showed that I had fractured 2 vertebrae in my middle back and squished a few vertebrae in my lower back. I was absolutely shocked that the walk in had let me walk out (well kind of, I couldn't really walk well) of their office with a broken back. Luckily, my discs did not move and therefore I did not need surgery I just needed a lot of time off. I would have to wait until the bones healed back together and then go through intensive physical therapy. He put me in a brace that made it impossible for me to bend because if I slouched at all, the bones would not go back together the way they were suppose to. The brace had a bar that went across my chest then a metal pole that went vertical down from my chest to my stomach and then something that went around my stomach and then around up my back. I had to wear it 24/7, during the day and while I was sleeping. Teaching yourself to sleep on your back is a lot harder than some people might think. I could only take this brace off to shower which even that was hard because it hurt to stand. Everything was harder with this injury.
So that's a little longer version of what happened. I hope it provided some insight into my thoughts and emotions. Thanks for reading!
Kind Regards











So proud of you for sharing your story Brittany! Another great takeaway from your story that I've learned too- if something feels off with your trainer, switch to a new one! Valuing "loyalty" is at best useless, and at worst dangerous. Your personal comfort, safety, and joy should come first! -Morgan G.
ReplyDeletethank you so much! i totally agree, i should've left that trainer a lot soon. comfort, safety, and happiness is the most important part of riding!
DeleteHi Brittany! I'm a friend of Lisa D.'s in California. She forwarded your story to me and I nearly cried. I'm so sorry you didn't have the support you needed through that long, horrible ordeal. You sound like a very strong young lady and I'm glad you didn't give up on your love of riding. And I'm SO happy you found Coal! He's the sweetest boy in the world. Just so you know, I didn't take up riding until five years ago at age 47 and I've ALWAYS felt safe on him. Continue to be kind to yourself...and have fun!
ReplyDelete